Saturday, July 31, 2010

Neighborhood noises

This week-end has been very interesting.....all in the neighborhood! Right now there is a wedding "dowry" celebration taking place right across from the ERM compound. It's so interesting to listen in. They have erected two big tents in the front yard and there is much singing and drums! The women are all dressed so beautifully in their traditional Rwandan dresses....so very colorful, fun, festive!
Last night the noises were the exact opposite! Around 10pm I heard the most frightful sounds of vicious dogs barking and a child screaming! OH! it was horrid! All I could do was stand at the window and pray and cry out to God PLEASE HELP!! The voice of a man was in the mix too.....but those dogs sounded so vicious, angry, mean.......so scary! but with the child's voice in the mix....HORRIFIC! My thought is this child is permanently "scarred" at least emotionally from this encounter with dogs! Dogs are not looked upon with much favor here already. They are mostly used as watchers.
I'm so grateful for John Bosco, my watcher! He is a wonderful believer and very responsible! He is always sitting reading his Bible. He opens the gate for me when it's so dark and locks me in nightly. He's also still the singing watchman! We practice English and he wants me to learn French and Ikinyarwanda. I don't think there is any hope for that. I love feeding him half my dinner because he is just so grateful. He offers me peanuts and gave me a papaya. I worried over him when he had a headache and we couldn't walk. I told Jeanne Darc to tell him to listen to his mother....me....and drink more water! He has no mother or father, just an unmarried sister age 29 and another sister I forget the age. He met John Lewis, (that's my husband,) over skype just this morning! He was leaving when I had John on my computer screen! So John Lewis was able to tell John Bosco in person THANK YOU for "walking me" and taking care of so many things here at the house. He also replaced the lock on the back door! and jumped right in to direct traffic around a sink hole in the road on one of our walks. He doesn't seem to mind when we use him as an example of "he" for our afternoon English class either......and "shirt"/"pants," when all of us are wearing "skirts"/ "dresses."... Pray for John Bosco.

No comments:

Post a Comment