Thursday, July 1, 2010

ERM Office

I'm here but have not been able to get the word out very easily. The internet was down also. It has been!" wonderful to be here. I have a good helper named Solange who makes me feel at home. She is due with her first child in Sept. I say "Hello baby!" to her belly every am. so he/she will know my voice.....and English! Solange and her husband were the first ones to introduce me to motorbiking here. Now, it can be said that I am a "real Rwandian woman, as that is how they all get around...especially to the market, almost daily! I'm saving my motorbike trips for once in a "blue moon" as IT"S SCARY! but when we go on the back roads it's FUN! The hardest part is climbing on the back IN A SKIRT and being discreet about it in front of many many watchers! The fat Mazungo is quite a sight to behold I'm sure but, hey! I am what I am and many have told me they wish they were my size!!!! REALLY! It cost 300F. If I hire John Baptist, it costs 1200F that's $24. us
Aside from the fun of all this I just must talk on a serious note now! Life is just so hard here for so many. Just surviving.....getting money for food, when you have no job. Paying school fees when you have no job.......it's hard! So your children are out for a while until you somehow get money to pay the fees......You live with no electricity, no water....I was just out of these for a few days and I found I was getting more than a little frazzeled.....I needed to wash my hair!! AND my cell was dead.....but they live without it all the time. Things we take for granted are the way of life here. I thought I would be able to cook for myself and do just fine. Well, I don't know how to keep the charcoal going.....and it's hard to boil water without electricity, even with the hotpot!
The English classes are going well. I have anywhere from 3- 15 students daily trickling in in the mornings. Some arrive early too! The sun comes up at 6 and some have been at the door at 7am! So we work one on one while Solange boils water for my coffee. It's a wonderful life!!!! (I do miss my family and friends however)
The afternoon Bible class is such a joy. The number of lessons we have had are around 20 of the 70 yet to go. The students are to be "tested" on Friday. This was not my idea.....just Olivia, the translator, after she saw a few nodding off....we meet in the heat of the day.....after lunch, after a long walk here, and my voice may not be as exciting as I could make it to be.....I demonstrated to them one day how I don't normally talk......(very animated) This was the same day I demonstrated how I got on the motor bike in a skirt too!!! We are having a wonderful time.
I shared with Oliva, Solange and Jeanne DArc how long my nails have grown and how it is proof that I am being treated like a queen. In my country I don't have long nails! They laugh, THEY want to cut them.
I'm hoping this will post as it is long...... But! I want to thank you for praying for me. Things are going well... REALLY GOOD in fact! Besides missing John, I count it such an honor to be able to be here doing this! Thank you again for you all who helped get me here! There is an openess to talk about spiritual truths that is just too great for words.................Praise Him!! There are no atheists in Rwanda it has been said........I believe it's true....but I long for the truth, God's Word, His character, attributes to be known, His way of salvation foremost! Praise God, He is filling up His mansions here.....those who are accepting His only way to peace /restored relationship with God through the blood of the Lamb of God!

2 comments:

  1. Yeah Debbie! Keep on the good work,you'll be rewarded for sure, and I know John is proud of you for sure):):!!
    I have one concern though,the motorcycle riding!I don't think is a good idea,and didn't advise on that really. So, please I know recommend that at all. Security matter~ I'm glad you're enjoying your time there, and don't have any doubt that people you're serving are very appreciative! I do):):)!!!
    Praise God for all! I'm very amazed to see what God can do if we allow Him to use us!!!
    May God continue to use you,and have a blessed day!
    Emmanuel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok! I'll not go by motorbike anymore. It's really scary......on the paved roads. I'm glad to not do it anymore, really!!!!
    NO PROBLEM!

    ReplyDelete