Thursday, July 29, 2010

The things we take for granted

WATER! that's something that I take for granted at home to be sure! I turn on the tap and there it is.....clean, ready to use!
Last night I discovered there is a city-wide water shortage. That means John Bosco could not fill the container that we dip our water from. There is a "source" of city water out back. So, the way we have been doing it has been for him to patiently fill a jug (it comes out by a trickle) and then he hauls it into my bathroom and into the other bathroom where there are large tubs. From these tubs we dip the water for everything from "flushing" toilet to "showers" which are a tub of warmed up water in a basin that I use in the bathtub to wash my hair, clothes also.
Mine is low and the week-end is coming. So, living by faith takes on new meaning for me today as I had hoped to wash some clothes, my hair, etc.
Yesterday, however some of the students were also in real need! Ernest asked for a drink. I had a jug of boiled water that I've been using for others here at the house who wanted water.
The cost to buy water to haul in is 1,000 F. for a jug! This is why we see little kids carrying jugs long distances for their families. Ernest comes here. No time to carry water from far away sources. I wonder about Placidia too as she takes care of a household as maid. They give her a place to live, she does the work.......what did she do today for water, I wonder? And Clementine who has been missing from class this week.....we don't know why a fellow student is going to try to find out about her for us. She was a very committed student so it must be something BIG we are all thinking.
Ah! when you get a drink today remember to thank God for the infrastructure that made getting that water to you clean and available! I have boxes of bottled water in my room. I'm grateful for water today. I'm also drinking Rwandan tea with milk. It's so good that it has replaced my morning cup of coffee!
I'm so grateful for electricity and internet also! I was able to talk to John this morning too!! That's a blessing, the day before yesterday it wouldn't work!

No comments:

Post a Comment