Friday, July 30, 2010

Friday Morning Kids

Something happened that was different this morining for English class with the kids. I didn't open the gate until 8am and made some of them mad at me. So when I opened the gate to greet them there was a group who had decided to not come in but continue to play with a "ball" outside the gate. I started in with those who came in right away and tried not to notice the other group when they decided to come on in.....but it was obvious that they had "conspired together" to make sure I knew they were upset. They decided to "not participate!" to "get back" at me for not opening the gate early! When I saw what was happening I asked if they were mad at me. Yes, (and their faces showed it too!) Well, I told them that they were told we start at 8am and I was doing washing (as we had water this am.) I had heard them banging at the gate even with my music IPod thing playing music in my ears!
I told them as best as I could communicate with them in limited English that they had to make a choice in their hearts to either hold on to a grudge or let it go, but it was sin to do what they were doing!
After our 2 hours was over I asked Olivia to come in and help me talk to them again. I asked if it was true what I thought happened. Yes, they were mad at me and wanted to make me pay for it! So, we talked it out....... I'm partly at fault here! I have opened the gate at 6:45am before!
The mother of one of the kids came today to learn a bit later too and a whole new group of older boys. John Bosco has been advertising the classes while he walks me along with passing out "Steps to Peace with God" People are very interested in reading English.......we also give them a tract that is written in Ikinyarwandan too. I had many, many ask about starting more English classes!

No comments:

Post a Comment