Saturday, July 3, 2010

Saturday...I pasted this

It’s Saturday and Solange went to choir practice early so it’s been really quiet here. I decided to wash my hair with warm water so went out to the cook house to put a pot of water on to heat up. To live here takes time! Emmanuel installed a wonderful water heater just before I got her e but water doesn’t go up into it ……I think it has to do with electricity being off but also the water being gone too. We have it hauled in now in jugs. The power was out all day and just now came back on! Yes! Olivia, my dear translator, told me she has no power at all at her home or electricity not just some days but all the time! and her children were out of school several days because fees needed to be paid.

Because I told Solange and Jeanne DArc that I thought Solange should be with her husband on Sunday and not here at all we looked into the possibility of setting up the stove that is here in the kitchen. As we were looking into it we found it 1. Needs a wall adaptor, 2 is GAS! Interesting! It had two hot plate type burners but the oven is gas. All of us were so sad as we were looking forward to me showing them how to make cake!

July 1 they celebrated Liberation Day when the army came to stop the killings in 94 so it’s a Rwandian version of Independence Day sort of…….

So tomorrow I will have leftover sweet potatoes, eggs, CHIPATI (flat bread AND THE reason I’m not going to be losing much weight!) for meals….it’s in the fridge with some meat that is already cooked up. And the electricity is working now too….cold water!

Today at 7am I had a large group of young students trickle in for English lessons, We ended at 10am. That is about all I can handle with a large crowd by myself. The same older girls keep coming back, but when there are a lot of new younger ones I’m in a slow-mode so they get a little restless. I had to be firm today with several who were talking. I also gave a pep talk about how I love to give gifts but I don’t like “give me give mes” !! AND the older girls had the job of repeating my words to each one who came in. It’s just that when you don’t have a pencil of your own or the means to get one they are very desirable……and the sharpeners too! REMIND me to bring more of these if I ever do this again!!! The same is for paper…..I taught them that God sees and knows all things nothing is hidden from Him. But, I saw too when ones would try to hide the fact that they were taking three pencils ……I smile a lot but don’t let them get by with it!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Honey, it worked to paste! Thanks! Love you Miss you so!

    ReplyDelete