Thursday, July 22, 2010

Children are reading!

I was such an encouragement to hear the children reading in the "goodseed" booklets that our group brought over. These booklets are written in EASY ENGLISH and are just wonderful for building vocabulary all in the context of the Word of God. Today we were able to read the first few pages with good comprehension! It is so encouraging!!! They are also learning the character/attributes of God set to the tune of "Are you sleeping, Are you sleeping, Brother John...." Do you know the song I mean? It's french origin! so the tune is known here too! COOL! Today we sang God is Triune, Father, Son, Holy Spirit...among others.
It must be another holiday here as they were not anxious to leave for school.
I am learning a bit of Ikinyarwanda! Many a song that seems to stick better in my brain. It's a song that asks questions and the answer is always the same.....Immana niki yemwe! (God is love) the song goes sort of like this.....The birds go singing that......Immana niki yemwe!
A river named Rukundo reminds us.........Immana niki yemwe !
I will never forget the moment when Olivia broke out in song with it after the lesson one day! I had to have them re-do so I could tape it and take it home with me! And then when I found out what some of the words meant.....well, that was what was the motivation to work at learning it...The birds here DO REMIND me of His great love! Their music is just sweet! AND predictable!!!! Dusk and dawn.......well, even in the middle of the day I hear them now too. We usually have to pause to listen.....and remember! (Just think about it! Why do birds sing anyway.....They DO show us what a loving God we have!! He also could've made all flowers black and white and food taste like dirt! (thanks to the GoodSeed publishers.....)
I just want to thank everyone for praying for us! These lessons have been hard in that we are drilling the fact that we are sinners, totally depraved, with nothing to offer a perfect, Holy God.
Today we talk about the story of Moses lifting up the pole for the people to "Look and Live!"
Olivia is typing up our test questions that she has translated for the students test tomorrow.
We are on Lesson 40. I know I must sound like a broken record, but I'm so grateful for this study from the people at NEW TRIBES MISSION. Also the Good Seed people at www.goodseed.com I think every class could benefit from the study materials. It has been a blessing to see how the book Stranger on the Road to Emmaus has supplemented and helped with illustrations for further explanation especially to Ernest who wishes to be a pastor. He comes early to ask questions. It is a wonderful thing to see how the young people who come ....really want to learn. All of the students are doing very well on their exams too!
Thank you once again for praying for us! I know of God's gracious help DAILY!

No comments:

Post a Comment